Thursday 19 July 2012

Rhubarb and Orange Cake with Flaked Almonds


Rhubarb and Orange Cake with Flaked Almonds



When my son was growing up he used to tease me if I produced a special dinner on a week night, “Practicing for a dinner party, Mom?”  He was often correct, but it became a little joke between us when anything a tiny bit special was produced.  But therein lies the first rule of the dinner party, never cook something for guests that you have not cooked before.  It is not the night for trying out that recipe that looked great in the book, but you are not sure if you can manage all the steps.  You will just get flustered when you should be sipping wine with your guests.  As sipping wine with my friends is one of my all time favourite things to do, I limit the work and stress of entertaining by cooking things I know that work, and that I can cook without too much effort. 

If you want to go all out and do three courses, then either buy one course or get a guest to bring one.  For my last dinner party I bought fishcakes to serve with (bought) sweet chilli sauce, roasted a belly of pork and made this fantastic rhubarb cake for dessert.  Start practicing this one while the rhubarb is in season.  It is also a great dessert to carry to a dinner party if you are asked to bring something.  I found this recipe when I asked that very question, “What is an easy dessert to carry to a dinner party?” on this forum, where I hang out talking about food, not as boring as you might think, well each to their own!!

You will find the recipe here





No comments:

Post a Comment